Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thank You Grandma!

I received my first letter from my Grandma today! Over Christmas break, we visited. She commented that she missed writing letters, as it seemed hardly anyone does it now a days. I asked her how often was too often to write letters, and she told me "about every 6 weeks is fine." I filed this information away, and have sent her two letters.

They were some of the first handwritten letters I have written in many years.  Today I learned about the death's of my Grandma's parents, the time when her house caught on fire, but her Mom forgot about her, and a bit more. I realized today how much I love them, and how much I look forward to my new relationship with my Grandma!

Thank you Grandma for sharing treasured memories with me! Thank you for unlocking a very special piece inside of me (writing letters to relatives) that had gone away for many, many years! Thank you for new adventures in relatives! I love you Grandma!

For what are you grateful at this moment?

Share with me, as we celebrate being grateful!

3 comments:

  1. I am grateful that my Mom came to live with us for two years after her stroke. She only got a little speech back, but one night, when I was telling my husband the story about how none of us liked peas but Mom parceled them out in equal measure when they came up in the vegetable rotation, she said, "Only you." I called my brothers. They both liked peas!
    Precious stories.

    BTW, you might want to check out my book review today about a book that gives us an updated image of young, active Grandmas, called Grandma & Me.
    http://newgrandmas.com/books-games/new-grandmas-grandma-me-book-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this is really sweet! I loved writing to penpals when I was in elementary/middle school, but it does seem like letter writing has become a lost art.

    Right now I'm grateful for an upcoming weekend of racing and visiting college friends... a few days away from the regular grind at the office... and the flexibility of my job to take time off whenever I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma's are awesome people. I am grateful that I can still share my life with both of mine.

    ReplyDelete