Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thank You UE!


Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the wise ones of old; seek what they sought. --adapted from Matsuo Basho (1644-1694) The Wisdom of Yoga - Cope.

96 years ago a humble man was born. Approximately 30 years ago I met him for the first time. A connection of the hearts was immediately formed. From the age of 8 or 9 until 2 weeks before his death (15 days before my high school graduation), we wrote letters back and forth.

We wrote the weather (he was a farmer), of school (I was a student), of family (we were great uncle and great niece), of relevant life happenings, and more. This wise old man never taught me how to live, he just told me of his life, and encouraged me to live mine in a manner of humility, stability, hard work, and helping others.

For the longest time I wanted to be like him. I chose him in a very special role in my life. I never thought I'd achieve his humility nor his selflessness. Little by little I realized I was doing okay, long after he passed on.

So, while he would probably be horrified that he has an entire post in some internet land, Happy Birthday UE! Thank you for all that you taught me, all that you blessed me with, and all that you continue to inspire me to do!

Quite simply, to the most simple of all men, my most heartfelt gratitude for being you, dear Uncle!

For what are you grateful at this moment?

Share with me, as we celebrate being grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment